The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack have announced the appointment of 15 nationally recognized experts to serve on the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee.
Updated every five years, the Dietary Guidelines serve as the foundation for national nutrition programs, standards, and education. In addition, they provide key recommendations for the general population as well as specific population groups to help people choose an overall healthy diet that works for them.
The inaugural meeting of the Committee is scheduled for June 13-14, 2013 at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. The meeting will be open to the public. More information is available here:
Committee members are:
- Chair: Barbara Millen, Dr.P.H, R.D.: Professor, Department of Family Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, (through 2009). Dr. Millen is currently the Founder and President of Millennium Prevention, Inc., a U.S.-based start-up company with a public health mission, which develops web-based platforms and mobile applications to encourage healthy preventive lifestyle behaviors for clinical settings and corporate, academic, and community wellness initiatives.
- Vice Chair: Alice H. Lichtenstein, D.Sc.: Stanley N. Gershoff Professor of Nutrition Science and Policy, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, and Director and Senior Scientist, Cardiovascular Nutrition Laboratory, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston.
- Steven Abrams, M.D.: Professor of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston.
- Lucile Adams-Campbell, Ph.D.: Professor of Oncology, Georgetown University Medical Center, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Washington, D.C.
- Cheryl Anderson, M.P.H., Ph.D.: Associate Professor, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, Calif.
- J. Thomas Brenna, Ph.D.: Professor of Human Nutrition, Chemistry and Food Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
- Wayne Campbell, Ph.D.: Professor, Department of Nutrition Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
- Steven Clinton, M.D., Ph.D.: John B. and Jane T. McCoy Chair of Cancer Research, The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, and Professor, Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, The Ohio State University School of Medicine, Columbus, Ohio.
- Gary Foster, Ph.D.: Director, Center for Obesity Research and Education, Laura Carnell Professor of Medicine, Public Health and Psychology, Temple University, Philadelphia.
- Frank Hu, M.D., Ph.D.: Director, Harvard Transdisciplinary Research in Energetics and Cancer Center, Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston.
- Miriam Nelson, Ph.D.: Professor, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Boston.
- Marian Neuhouser, Ph.D., R.D.: Full Member, Cancer Prevention Program, Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Wash.
- Rafael Pérez-Escamilla, Ph.D.: Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale School of Public Health, New Haven, Conn.
- Anna Maria Siega-Riz, Ph.D., R.D.: Professor, Departments of Epidemiology and Nutrition, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, N.C.
- Mary Story, Ph.D., R.D.: Senior Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs and Professor, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn.